Sorting your finances step by step
Based on Mary’s new book “Rich Enough? A laid-back guide for every Kiwi”
- Why it’s best to do it in steps
- Why the steps are in this order
- What the steps cover:
- Step 1: Start now — it’s easy
- Step 2: Kill off high-interest debt
- Step 3: Set up insurance — and a rainy day fund
- Step 4: Join the best KiwiSaver fund for you
- Step 5: Boost your saving painlessly — how and where
- Step 6: Stay cool
- Step 7: Head confidently towards retirement — and through it
- Step ? (when it’s the right time for you — if ever): Buy a house, or sell one
No paywalls or ads — just generous people like you. All Kiwis deserve accurate, unbiased financial guidance. So let’s keep it free. Can you help? Every bit makes a difference.
Mary Holm is a freelance journalist, a director of Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL), a seminar presenter and a bestselling author on personal finance. From 2011 to 2019 she was a founding director of the Financial Markets Authority. Her opinions are personal, and do not reflect the position of any organisation in which she holds office. Mary’s advice is of a general nature, and she is not responsible for any loss that any reader may suffer from following it.