Ways to boost your everyday saving
Last time we looked at setting a savings goal. This time, it’s other tips to boost savings:
- Open a separate savings account
- Pay yourself first
- Start small and gradually increase savings
- Play mind games — take a “pay cut” or use a picture
- Seize big opportunities when expenses fall or income increases
- Take inspiration from champion savers or extreme saver movements
No paywalls or ads — just generous people like you. All Kiwis deserve accurate, unbiased financial guidance. So let’s keep it free. Can you help? Every bit makes a difference.
Mary Holm is a freelance journalist, a director of Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL), a seminar presenter and a bestselling author on personal finance. From 2011 to 2019 she was a founding director of the Financial Markets Authority. Her opinions are personal, and do not reflect the position of any organisation in which she holds office. Mary’s advice is of a general nature, and she is not responsible for any loss that any reader may suffer from following it.