Low-risk funds — a good alternative to bank term deposits
(But first — a quick follow-up on share trading)
- Defensive and conservative funds, in and out of KiwiSaver
- Where to get info — Smart Investor tool. Look for low fees.
- Don’t panic when balance falls a bit
- Comparison with bank term deposits:
- Pluses — withdrawals, PIE tax, safety
- Minuses — fees, don’t know returns, some volatility
No paywalls or ads — just generous people like you. All Kiwis deserve accurate, unbiased financial guidance. So let’s keep it free. Can you help? Every bit makes a difference.
Mary Holm, ONZM, is a freelance journalist, a seminar presenter and a bestselling author on personal finance. She is a director of Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL) and a former director of the Financial Markets Authority. Her opinions are personal, and do not reflect the position of any organisation in which she holds office. Mary’s advice is of a general nature, and she is not responsible for any loss that any reader may suffer from following it. Send questions to [email protected] or click here. Letters should not exceed 200 words. We won’t publish your name. Please provide a (preferably daytime) phone number. Unfortunately, Mary cannot answer all questions, correspond directly with readers, or give financial advice.