Reverse mortgages revisited, and 10 ways to make retirement easier financially
- Further thoughts about reverse mortgages — when younger retirees might use them
- Retire later — job satisfaction, social contact, financial
- Move house, and maybe town
- Boarders or flatmates or Airbnb
- Rates rebates if on low income
- Rates postponement on any income in some places
- Accommodation supplements (government help with rent, board or home ownership costs)
- Sell your house and be a tenant
- Sell assets on Trade Me etc. including valuables
- At 90, you become the charity!
No paywalls or ads — just generous people like you. All Kiwis deserve accurate, unbiased financial guidance. So let’s keep it free. Can you help? Every bit makes a difference.
Mary Holm, ONZM, is a freelance journalist, a seminar presenter and a bestselling author on personal finance. She is a director of Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL) and a former director of the Financial Markets Authority. Her opinions are personal, and do not reflect the position of any organisation in which she holds office. Mary’s advice is of a general nature, and she is not responsible for any loss that any reader may suffer from following it. Send questions to [email protected] or click here. Letters should not exceed 200 words. We won’t publish your name. Please provide a (preferably daytime) phone number. Unfortunately, Mary cannot answer all questions, correspond directly with readers, or give financial advice.