Follow-up from last time: If not paying extra off mortgage, where is best place to invest? Shares?
- But first: 2 texts commenting on last session
- Alternative investments need to be: high enough risk, long-term. Also: can you cope with volatility? Are you strong financially?
- 2 choices: property and shares. Are they over-valued?
- Rental property might work, but…
- Shares: Some people too fearful, others too brave.
- 2 ways to approach shares: trade, or hold for long term.
- 2 ways to select shares: pick individual shares, use share fund
- In a share fund, 2 styles: active and passive.
Listen to the segment below, or click here to read Radio NZ’s summary.
You can listen to these sessions as podcasts. Subscribe free to Mary’s RNZ podcast here.
No paywalls or ads — just generous people like you. All Kiwis deserve accurate, unbiased financial guidance. So let’s keep it free. Can you help? Every bit makes a difference.
Mary Holm, ONZM, is a freelance journalist, a seminar presenter and a bestselling author on personal finance. She is a director of Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL) and a former director of the Financial Markets Authority. Her opinions are personal, and do not reflect the position of any organisation in which she holds office. Mary’s advice is of a general nature, and she is not responsible for any loss that any reader may suffer from following it. Send questions to [email protected] or click here. Letters should not exceed 200 words. We won’t publish your name. Please provide a (preferably daytime) phone number. Unfortunately, Mary cannot answer all questions, correspond directly with readers, or give financial advice.