Follow-up from last time: If not paying extra off mortgage, where is best place to invest? Shares?
- But first: 2 texts commenting on last session
- Alternative investments need to be: high enough risk, long-term. Also: can you cope with volatility? Are you strong financially?
- 2 choices: property and shares. Are they over-valued?
- Rental property might work, but…
- Shares: Some people too fearful, others too brave.
- 2 ways to approach shares: trade, or hold for long term.
- 2 ways to select shares: pick individual shares, use share fund
- In a share fund, 2 styles: active and passive.
No paywalls or ads — just generous people like you. All Kiwis deserve accurate, unbiased financial guidance. So let’s keep it free. Can you help? Every bit makes a difference.
Mary Holm, ONZM, is a freelance journalist, a seminar presenter and a bestselling author on personal finance. She is a director of Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL) and a former director of the Financial Markets Authority. Her opinions are personal, and do not reflect the position of any organisation in which she holds office. Mary’s advice is of a general nature, and she is not responsible for any loss that any reader may suffer from following it. Send questions to [email protected] or click here. Letters should not exceed 200 words. We won’t publish your name. Please provide a (preferably daytime) phone number. Unfortunately, Mary cannot answer all questions, correspond directly with readers, or give financial advice.