– Reader near 60 struggles to get mortgage…
– …Could she buy house with another reader?
– Southern Cross doesn’t cover some cancer drugs
– Happy with health insurance
You don’t HAVE to jump on house buying bandwagon!
– First homebuyers and investors in rental property
– Market has gone mad! Prices and sales
– Last time sales were high — then what happened?
– First home buyers: wait and keep saving, or buy and don’t worry
– Investors: No high return with low risk. Do worst case scenario
What to do about low interest rates at banks (and the demise of Bonus Bonds)
– Not as bad as people think
– But still many unhappy
– Suitable alternatives — safe, low volatility — offset mortgages, cash funds, low-risk KiwiSaver funds
– Be braver? — if long-term money — middle-risk KiwiSaver funds. Probably not higher-risk funds or shares or rentals
– Government KiwiSaver contributions to over 65s wouldn’t work, or be fair
– How reader with cancer could set up her savings
– Over how long should you drip-feed a lump sum into an investment?
– Is weekly drip-feeding better than monthly?
– I suggest reader takes rental property off the market …
– … but she’s sold it! Don’t put proceeds into another rental
What financial decisions would I do differently, with hindsight?
Based on an email challenge from a listener.
– Timing — in the share market and property market
– Gearing — borrowing to invest in a share fund
– A foreign exchange investment
– House buying
– Rental property?
– Higher paid work?
– My holiday message: Be terrific in traffic
– What to do with a $200,000 Lotto win
– How does Inland Revenue handle Islamic banking?
– Drop in fund value explained
– 2 Q&As on handling charity donations after the donor dies
– Reader explains why millionaire could be aggrieved about NZ Super
– Another reader doesn’t buy my arguments on means-testing Super
– Is means-testing a far left idea?