Managing your mortgage
- Survey: Half people with mortgages are ahead on their repayments
- Penalties on repaying fixed loans early
- Why being ahead is good news: retirement savings, security, goal setting, easy “investment”
- But is this best thing to do with spare money?
- The future: rising interest rates, what to do if you can’t meet payments
- Best strategy: fixed or floating? Several terms?
Listen to the segment below, or click here to read Radio NZ’s summary.
You can listen to these sessions as podcasts. Subscribe free to Mary’s RNZ podcast here.
No paywalls or ads — just generous people like you. All Kiwis deserve accurate, unbiased financial guidance. So let’s keep it free. Can you help? Every bit makes a difference.
Mary Holm, ONZM, is a freelance journalist, a seminar presenter and a bestselling author on personal finance. She is a director of Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL) and a former director of the Financial Markets Authority. Her opinions are personal, and do not reflect the position of any organisation in which she holds office. Mary’s advice is of a general nature, and she is not responsible for any loss that any reader may suffer from following it. Send questions to [email protected] or click here. Letters should not exceed 200 words. We won’t publish your name. Please provide a (preferably daytime) phone number. Unfortunately, Mary cannot answer all questions, correspond directly with readers, or give financial advice.