Online share trading — don’t forget the basics
- Main platforms — Sharesies, Hatch, Invest Now and Stake
- Nearly 40% of adult NZers (1.5 million people) use or plan to use
- Five messages for share investors:
- A good company is not necessarily a good investment
- Decide about diversification (Can do share funds online too)
- Shares are for the long term — or gambling
- Traders are not winners on average
- Value vs growth? Dividend payers vs others?
- Comparisons and info on safety of your investments — MoneyHub
No paywalls or ads — just generous people like you. All Kiwis deserve accurate, unbiased financial guidance. So let’s keep it free. Can you help? Every bit makes a difference.
Mary Holm, ONZM, is a freelance journalist, a seminar presenter and a bestselling author on personal finance. She is a director of Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL) and a former director of the Financial Markets Authority. Her opinions are personal, and do not reflect the position of any organisation in which she holds office. Mary’s advice is of a general nature, and she is not responsible for any loss that any reader may suffer from following it. Send questions to [email protected] or click here. Letters should not exceed 200 words. We won’t publish your name. Please provide a (preferably daytime) phone number. Unfortunately, Mary cannot answer all questions, correspond directly with readers, or give financial advice.