Share investing for fun
- 2 reasons to invest in shares: long-term growth and entertainment
- New Zealanders’ interest growing fast — especially 25–44s and males
- Like 1980s?
- Unlikely to beat the market
- Watch for pumping and dumping
- Don’t be an insider trader
- Margin trading and options
- 2 helpful websites
- Conclusion: only money you can afford to lose
No paywalls or ads — just generous people like you. All Kiwis deserve accurate, unbiased financial guidance. So let’s keep it free. Can you help? Every bit makes a difference.
Mary Holm, ONZM, is a freelance journalist, a seminar presenter and a bestselling author on personal finance. She is a director of Financial Services Complaints Ltd (FSCL) and a former director of the Financial Markets Authority. Her opinions are personal, and do not reflect the position of any organisation in which she holds office. Mary’s advice is of a general nature, and she is not responsible for any loss that any reader may suffer from following it. Send questions to [email protected] or click here. Letters should not exceed 200 words. We won’t publish your name. Please provide a (preferably daytime) phone number. Unfortunately, Mary cannot answer all questions, correspond directly with readers, or give financial advice.